The midnight to 5am curfew will end as of Thursday morning [Feb 18], liquor licensed establishments will be allowed to remain open until midnight, and businesses will no longer be required to close at 11pm so “you can get your late night food again,” Premier David Burt said.
This was stated at last night’s [Feb 16] press briefing as the Premier explained the changes to regulations which are set to come into effect on Thursday, February 18th, at 6 am.
Premier Burt said, “In line with recommendations from the Ministry of Health and with the support of the Covid-19 Cabinet Committee, the Cabinet has agreed that all public health regulations remain in place as follows:
- “Indoor funerals can hold up to 25% of the maximum capacity for the venue in which they are held.
- “Outdoor funerals can be attended by up to 50 persons.
- “Table size in restaurants, bars, and nightclubs remains at ten persons.
- “The maximum size for group gatherings in a private or public setting remains at 25 persons.
- “Boating curfew remains at 8 pm.
“The Cabinet has approved the changes to the following regulations.
- “The 12 am – 5 am curfew, will come to an end and the last night of curfew will be on Wednesday night.
- “All liquor licensed establishments will now be allowed to remain open until 12 midnight, giving them an additional hour of operations as they have previously been required to close at 11 pm. The reasoning for this is similar to the rationale I provided two weeks ago for keeping a curfew in place. It is still critical to keep social mixing at a safe level, especially in situations where alcohol is consumed.
- “Businesses will no longer be required to close at 11 pm, and as long as they are not a liquor licensed establishment, they can remain open. The means that you can get your late night food again.
“These changes will come into effect on Thursday, February 18th, at 6 am. Until these measures officially change, please continue to adhere to the curfew as it stands now – as the enforcement of the law will continue until Thursday morning. All measures will be reviewed by the Cabinet in two weeks.
“The Government is pleased to announce the end of the curfew and has no desire to reimpose such measures again. However, it is crucial for everyone to understand that the Government will not hesitate to take action and reimplement regulations should this become necessary to stop another outbreak.”