The amended Quarantine Order for travellers to Bermuda “will not come into effect today [June 13] as previously announced,” the Government said.
The order was initially announced as starting on June 6th, then later announced as starting on June 13th.
A spokesperson said, “The amended Quarantine Order for travellers to Bermuda will not come into effect today, June 13, as previously announced. The Government of Bermuda apologises for the moving dates and the uncertainty this has caused.
“We continue to work on the necessary amendments to finalise the Quarantine Order as it pertains to mandatory quarantine. This Order intends to formalise in law the exemptions and fees related to supervised quarantine for travellers,” said Minister of Health Kim Wilson. “Additional logistics are being worked out to ensure that we have it right and that we best protect Bermuda from dangerous coronavirus variants.”
Premier David Burt added: “As we fully open our island, it is important that we do our best to keep new variants out of Bermuda. The measures being put in place are designed to achieve this while balancing our safety with our need to encourage and support local events and tourism activities throughout our economy. Our goal is to end local restrictions in Bermuda.”
Premier David Burt concluded: “As our test results show we have not had any new local cases in over two weeks with all of our cases coming from overseas.
“That means our full effort must be at the border, focused on keeping dangerous variants out of Bermuda and successfully containing them if they arrive. The implementation of the new Border Restrictions will coincide with the full re-opening of the economy – which will be no later than June 24.”
“A comprehensive update including the confirmation of the date for the ending of local restrictions will be provided at Tuesday afternoon’s coronavirus press conference scheduled for 5:30pm,” the Government added.