[Updating] Flyers have been circulating asking people to gather at Bermuda’s airport as Antonio Belvedere is due to arrive this afternoon [July 14]. The flyer said the flight was due to land at 2.08pm and according to online trackers, it has touched down in Bermuda. We do see some people there with signs and you can watch live below.
Update: Antonio Belvedere has left the airport, with a statement from the officials saying he “fell within an exempted category” and “will be required to quarantine at home for the mandatory 14 day period.”
The police said, “The Ministry of Health has confirmed Mr. Antonio Belvedere met the requirements of the Quarantine (COVID-19) (No. 3) Amendment (No. 2) Order 2021 when he arrived in Bermuda today.
“The Ministry confirmed he arrived with an approved Bermuda COVID-19 Travel Authorisation form, fell within an exempted category (unaccompanied minors or medically vulnerable & their caregivers) and will quarantine at home for the mandatory 14 day period.”
A statement from the Police and Health Ministry said, “Mr. Belvedere met the requirements of the Quarantine (COVID-19) (No. 3) Amendment (No. 2) Order 2021, when he arrived in Bermuda today.
“He arrived with an approved Bermuda COVID-19 Travel Authorisation form, fell within an exempted category (medically vulnerable) as certified by a licensed physician or psychologist. Therefore he will be required to quarantine at home for the mandatory 14 day period.”
Update: Eugene Dean, who has been very involved in these matters, made comments via a live stream on the Bermuda Freedom Alliance social media where he somewhat disputed some of the Government statement above.
Mr. Belvedere, as seen in the video, said his lawyer advised him not to comment right now, so we don’t expect further comment from him right now. Lawyer Marc Daniels said [scroll to 31 minutes in the full video] said he doesn’t really want to speak on the circumstances now, and ‘the conversation may come at a later stage.’
Update: The live broadcast has concluded and the replay is below:
Update 11.49pm: The Government has issued the statement below
Contrary to recent social media posts, the Ministry of Health can confirm the following related to Mr. Antonio Belvedere and the process that occurred in completing and submitting his Travel Authorisation (TA).
He made an application for a TA that was initially rejected due to no vaccination certificate or proof of hotel payment/exemption being supplied.
However, subsequent to the rejection, a letter from his physician that satisfied the requirements for an exemption from the quarantine facility based on medical grounds was received. The TA was updated accordingly while he was in flight.
To be clear:
1] He applied for a Travel Authorisation [TA] which contained a valid PCR pre-test.
2] He paid to submit the TA.
3] His original completed TA application was not approved.
4] He sent a medical certificate to one of our health officers.
5] The medical certificate was sent to the call centre.
6] The medical certificate was approved, which allowed for a medical exemption to quarantine at home.
7] He received an approved TA with a yellow waiver to quarantine at home.
8] He completed the process at the LFW upon arrival by uploading the medical certificate himself to the exemption portal.
Update July 15, 11.49pm: Antonio Belvedere has issued the statement below
1. I did not complete a Travel Authorization form when I departed the United States of America.
2. I did not complete, file, or upload any documentation with any Government entity, or on any online portal, in support of an application for a medical exemption arising from my travel to Bermuda on 14 July 2021.
3. I did not pay any fee associated with any purported application for a medical exemption.
4. Whilst en route to Bermuda, I received a missed call from an unknown number.
5. I then received a WhatsApp message from a member of staff at the Ministry of Health.
6. The individual stated, in writing, that they were trying to reach me regarding my Travel Authorization form.
7. The individual then confirmed that they “re-did” a Travel Authorization form on my behalf; and further, they wanted to make sure I received it.
8. I confirmed that I was in the air and that my Travel Authorization was denied.
9. The individual told me that they updated the system and they changed my status from mandatory quarantine to home quarantine.
10. I did not ask this individual to do this on my behalf.
11. I did not ask anyone else to do this on my behalf.
12. I told this individual that I would see what other tricks were in store.
13. Upon my arrival in Bermuda, I requested to speak with my lawyer based on what transpired on the flight. However, I was not permitted to receive his counsel until I entered the arrival hall where he was kept waiting.
14. Whilst I remained in Customs, I was invited to put my name, address and telephone number on a separate form, which I did.
15. Before I walked into the arrival hall, I was made aware that the Bermuda Police Service and the Ministry of Health released a Joint Press statement stating that:
[i] I met the requirements of the law when I arrived in Bermuda;
[ii] I arrived with an approved Travel Authorization form;
[iii] I fell within a medically vulnerable exempted category; and
[iv] I will be required to quarantine at home for 14 days, as opposed to a mandatory quarantine facility at my own expense.
16. All of these four facts are true. However, I did not request or cause any of these steps to occur.
17. It is my reasonable belief that the Government of Bermuda has intentionally misled the public and presented a false narrative that I applied for a medical exemption in order to evade quarantine. I did no such thing.
18. Further, I believe that the Ministry of Health has intentionally sought to mislead Bermuda because of how vocal I have been in my criticism of their policies. This sets a dangerous precedent for our country.
19. I am of the firm belief that the Joint Press Release was intended to cause confusion, and contempt by the community towards me.
20. It is clear that my name and reputation have intentionally been totally besmirched in the public domain in order to silence me.
21. More importantly, I did not give permission to any medical personnel, or civil servant, to release any private & confidential medical information that may exist anywhere into the public domain.